Old April 25th 04, 08:46 PM
SteveH

Hellraiser > wrote:

> "SteveH" > wrote in message
> k...
> > Hellraiser > wrote:
> >
> > > One question I forgot to ask - which model 155 do you drive?

> > 2lt TS Lusso 'Narrowbody'. 10 years old on an L-plate.
> >
> > ISTR the 75 is about the same.

> Cheers Steve, are these 155's really as good as they say?

Probably a bit early for me to say, as I've only had it a week. Although
I have put 500 miles on it in that time.

Initial impressions are that it has a very odd driving position (even
compared with a 75, which is saying something), but the seats are
comfortable, and once you're used to the relatively high seat complete
with the long arm / short leg ergonomics it's not a problem. However, I
do miss the telescopic adjustment of the wheel that was standard on the
75.

It's slower than the 75 with the same engine - a combination of catalyst
and close on 200kgs of extra weight have taken the edge of the
performance.

Other than that, it handles well (if a little tail-happy in a lift-off
oversteer style), performs better than most of it's contemporaries,
still has the lovely classic Alfa twin-cam engine noise and seems pretty
well screwed together (120k miles old and everything still works, apart
from the wiper motor, which was my fault anyway).

Plenty of kit in mine, too - alloys, fogs, electric front windows /
sunroof / mirrors.

I think I'd still prefer my 75 for a back-road thrashing, but the 155 is
an altogether more refined car for long distance travel.

Bear in mind that mine's a 'narrowbody' so doesn't have the enhancements
(better driving position, neater handling) that the 'widebody' cars got.
However, the ideal combination of older Alfa 8v TS engine and 'widebody'
chassis is very rare (only available for 6 months), so I'd settle for a
narrowbody any day over a 16v widebody any day.

Still prefer the 75, though.... but that's not back from it's gearbox
rebuild until the middle of next week.
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 155 TS Lusso - COSOC KOTL