Old February 8th 10, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

Default compression test

Rule of thumb is 125-150 psi depending on the compression ratio of the
engine. Make the compression test with all plugs removed, the ignition coil
disconnected and wide open throttle. Crank for 5 seconds to get a stable
reading. Log readings, do all cylinders and then repeat. Make sure you get
consistent readings on each cylinder. Readings between all cylinders should
be within 5-10 psi. If you get a cylinder that reads low, put a couple of
squirts of oil into the cylinder and repeat the test. If the reading comes
up, most likely worn piston rings. If the reading stays low, could be head
gasket or valves. Don't forget to label the plug wires as you remove them to
make sure they all go back in the right places.