Old February 28th 08, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Saw an intelligent bicyclist today

On Feb 27, 3:54 pm, (Brent P)
wrote:
> In article >, wrote:
>
> > For example, regarding stop signs: I live across the street from
> > one. Fewer than half the drivers bother to stop. The majority roll
> > right through. The potential harm from a motorist doing that is
> > hundreds of times worse than that from a cyclist.

> Is it one of those stop signs you had put up to slow people down? If so,
> that's the reason people don't respect it.

Brent, you've apparently edited our previous discussions to meet your
preconceptions.

First, I've never, not once, been involved in putting in a stop sign
to slow people down. Neither has the bike-pedestrian committee I've
been a member of.

Second, the stop sign is at a T intersection, and visibility isn't
particularly good, due to shrubbery. It's a very normal and practical
place for a stop sign. No reasonable person would doubt its
appropriateness. (True, the local teeny-bopper would disagree, the
one with the daddy-bought car with the "aerodynamic" wing and fart-can
muffler, but those boys are pretty unreasonable.)

> That said we've been over this before and you didn't believe it then and
> I doubt you do now.

We've been over this before, but you've forgotten most of it.

- Frank Krygowski