Old May 13th 06, 11:44 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Default performance tweaks

"R D S" > schreef in bericht
> Are there any cheap and cheerful upgrades to eek a bit more performance
> out of a 2.0 TS 156?
> Do sport air filters make much of a difference?

A very little bit.... (1-1½HP)
More sound from the intake.
And the K&N version i.e. only has to be renewed every 100.000km compared to
every 20.000km for the original which can make the pay out time better.
..
> I notice having it chipped only adds 15bhp.
> I'm not a speed freak but its a while since i've had any sort of
> performance

10HP is more realistic for a non-turbo engine, but NOT for a standard
exchange chip; those are more or less fake.
A real re-map by experts (there are very little around though) will set you
back 500GBP/750euro and will include a few test runs to the dynometer
teststand to measure HP befor/after
I have had it done by Madeno.com in The Netherlands on my 156
Airfilter + re-mapping brought 14HP and took them almost a full day!!!
In the end the more HP was a minot advantage compared to the driveability
which improved enormeous.
No more rev hole between 2000-3500 rpm, power coming in like a turbine.
So much more fun on the country roads, having power at any time in any gear.

> and i'm getting a taste for it?

I did......