Old April 23rd 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default Soft brake pedal/excessive pedal pressure - 2001 Intrepid w/ABS

Just finished reading the recent post(s) about this subject. This
problem with braking describes my '01 Intrepid that I bought in 2003. I
never liked it but figured that's just the way it is. In 2004 I
replaced one front caliper, both front rotors and pads because they were
all needed. I bled the daylights out of the system - essentially flushed
it with new 3 liters of new fluid until I had clean, clear fluid at all
4 corners of the car. Still the brake pedal was mushy (still is).

After reading the previous posts, I see two potential causes :

1) A problem with the vacuum booster

2) The Scan Tool should have been used during bleeding !! This ****es me
a bit because when I bought the brake parts at the local Chrysler dealer
in 2004 I asked if there was anything special I needed to do or know
about bleeding the system and they said "no" - they just bleed the
brakes until all the bubbles are gone, and that's it.

Comments/advice appreciated. Looks like I should buy a proper shop
manual and a Scan Tool (?).

Thanks...Phil