Old June 2nd 13, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

Default Bye, bye Saturn?

"ryan42" > wrote in message
> Oppie wrote:
>> Looks like it's not bye bye for Saturn but just for the LW300.
>> We spent the day looking all over the county and were willing to settle
>> for several ones we saw from all different manufacturers. At the end of
>> the day, we went to GM and wound up driving a very nice 2009 Saturn
>> Vue, 2.4L. A little under powered but fits our needs nicely. Averaged 25
>> mpg on our test drive, has a roof rack and a decent amount of space.
>> First question I asked was to make sure it didn't have the CVT.

> Sorry to hear about your LW300. :-(
>
> Congratulations on your new Vue though. I have a 2004 with the 2.2L and
> its been great to me. I'm not sure if the 2.4L LE5 is that close to the
> 2.2L L61, but on the L61 the oil filter is a cartridge element near the
> top of the front of the block, making oil changes a breeze!
>
> Regards,
> Ryan

Thanks for the condolences on the LW. It's still running but I want to take
it out of service before it self-immolates on a deserted stretch of road.
I'll look what it takes to rebuild the engine and if it's too far gone, will
sell it for parts. Body and frame are in great shape.

The Vue is an XE model. I saw so many different cars that it's a blur. I
believe that this had the oil filter mounted vertically. I believe that it
has the base model auto transmission. Would have liked the up-level one but
such as it is.

Already dropped a hint that for Father's day, the family can chip in for the
factory service manual. Then again, I just checked HELMinc.com for the
service manual and it is not listed. They only have listings for the '09
owner's manual. Helm is where I got the service manual for the LW300. It was
$140 then.
Saw the shop manual for the 2008 listed ($200) but not for the 2009. Will
have to check at GM parts department on Monday.

Looked up the manual with google and found the saturn website is back again
and the owner's manual is on it. There are a few sites that will sell a
service manual for under $30 and will look into it. I did a LOT of work over
the years with the LW and expect to be able to do likewise on the Vue.

Oppie