Old February 27th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

Default !n Saw an intelligent bicyclist today

> wrote: (clip) as long as the cyclist is
> legal, he has no obligation to dress funny so motorists can exert less
> care. (clip)

Frank, it looked to me like you were chewing out bad drivers, blaming them
for driving habits that make cyclists less safe. My response did not
suggest that cyclists have an obligation to "dress funny." First, the bad
drivers you hold responsible--and they are certainly out there--are not
affected appreciably by what you say here. Blaming them and telling them to
drive better has virtually no effect. What does have an effect is how I
control my own behavior. I say, if I can make myself live longer by
"dressing funny," it's a personal choice, and I choose it. I'm 80 years old
and I place great value on whatever years I have left.