Old May 3rd 05, 05:17 AM
Thomas Cameron

"mtdubvee" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> My mustang currently has a 289 in it and I was wondering how hard a big
> block conversion would be or if I should just build the 289? thanks

I have a '68 coupe with a 289 2V that I am wrestling with that question,
too. What year is yours? My mechanic said that the timing chain is getting
bad on mine, and it's got almost 100,000 miles so I believe that the motor
is really due for a rebuild. A racing shop in town says that they can put a
stroker kit into the 289 and do a performance build for about $3900 giving
me around 300 horsepower at the rear wheel. Not bad at all... But for
$5900 I can get a 460 with 550 HP and 545 ft/lbs at
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=6587. Of
course, that means that I need to showhorn a C6 transmission in and then
swap the rear for a 31-spline 9" so it's going to be really expensive by the
time all is said and done.

I have also thought about getting a cheap rebuilt motor from he
http://www.rebuilt-auto-engines.com/...02105595755.f6
but again that would mean a C6 and a 9" rear end, so it would not be cheap.
This would allow me to at least get a big block in, then I could build the
engine in less expensive stages.

By the way, Crites has the parts you need at
http://www.critesrestoration.com/mustang.htm.

Thomas