Old September 28th 12, 10:05 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

Default Final missing Briggs Cunningham Le Mans Corvette discovered

"uncle_vito" > wrote in message

> "Dad" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>
>> "uncle_vito" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Dad" > wrote in message
>>> .. .
>>>>

>> Snip

>>> They will likely over restore it too. They should keep it as
>>> found. Just clean the dirt and dust off.
>>>

>> Have you seen it? It is not the configuration it was when raced. It
>> was put back to stock form and sold to the public and lived a very
>> hard life. It was so bedraggled that it was just another Corvette
>> being raced on weekends. The only thing that is left of importance
>> is the serial number that identifies it as the Cunningham car. It
>> would not be like cleaning the mud from Sophia Loren after a mud
>> wrestling event and she would look terrific again.

> Thanks for filling me in. I hope some of the fiberglass is the same
> as well as the chassis, otherwise they could just move that serial
> number to another car. Putting the racing paint and the racing
> parts back on would be good too. Seems it would be impossible to
> have matching number anything. Matching diff, trans, engine,
> alternator, carb are long gone, although all these were likely
> replaced by Cunningham for racing, anyway. The car would
> definitely be worth a million, but not on the same terms as a
> matching number car.

Most likely they will be able to save the frame with the header frame.
No way will they move the numbers only. Most, if not all, fiberglass
panels could have been damaged during its racing days and will be
replaced.

Guess what, when you race a car like that you will lose an engine,
transmissions, rear ends, and most other parts that are hung on like
the generator, alternators were still 3 years away. It will become a
matching numbers car as it was raced or it won't be worth the price
they paid for it. There is a place within 30 miles of me that will
supply you an engine and transmission setup to match any date and size
engine you want to puke out the bucks for, and it will be large.