Old March 31st 05, 11:48 PM
JB

"John Burns" > wrote in message
> > I have a 80 633csi with 100kmiles on it. I just bought it and the prior
> > original owner told me the tappets could be adjusted. He never did it
> > cause the mechanic told him it was not necessary. Never done.
> > I took the car into the dealer to have the work done (inexpensive)
> > and the tappets still make noise after warmed up. Is this normal??
> > It's not real loud but I wouldn't think that one shouldn't hear much of
> > anything. from under the valve cover if they're adjusted correctly. Am
> > I too picky?? Also, they adjusted the tappets with the engine cold.
> > Any thoughts, Fred.

> A slight leak in the exhaust manifold gasket sounds just like tappet
> noise on the M30.

Or/And of course the usual banjo bolts backing off on the cam oil spraybar.
I speak from *much* experience here as I have bought very cheaply over a
dozen M30 engined E23/28s with this problem. New cam and followers (and
modified bolts from the BMW dealer) and all is well with the world.
But yes, I too had cracks in the rearmost ex-manifold but these got quiter
when hot.
JB