Old March 31st 05, 01:39 PM
Old Radios

Did they adjust the valves? After having them adjusted they'll probably
quiet down a bit, but would get noisy again in a short while. BMW
engines tend to be pretty clattery, but usually when they warm up they
smooth out. I know with these engines there's an issue with failure to
get oil to the cam, but I don't remember the specifics. (Perhaps
someone else can chime in here?) But if a mechanic looked at it,
hopefully he'd have noticed. Did they give you an idea of how the cam
looks as far as wear? What grade of oil are you using? What brand
filter? It sounds silly, but with Audi's for instance, if you use a
Fram filter (or something else off the shelf) the 12v 6 will clatter
pretty badly, but if you put an Audi filter in it quiets down.

Mark.