Old February 14th 06, 11:56 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

Default Need ways to start a car with a dead battery.- 92 Civic Auto.

In article > ,
"Sam Nickaby" > wrote:

> Now, I have a new idea. Once my battery runs dry, I
> remove my alternator belt and wrap a rope around the
> alternator pulley. I then pull the rope so it'll turn 10
> revolutions per pull. I keep doing this for about 20 times.
>
> What is the possibility that this will supply enough charge
> to start the car.

Pretty much zero. You (and any three other guys you want to grab at
random and consider together) simply ain't got enough "ooomph" in your
whole body to put enough charge on a car sized battery to "git 'er
started" that way without spending days or weeks (maybe even months) in
the attempt. It'd depend on alternator, I imagine, but I'd expect that
having the stator coils energized during the time it took you rewind the
rope after each pull would burn more juice than you produced with the
pull. Of course, that assumes you could even pull it over at all against
the load the battery presents.

> If not, can somebody think of a clever idea
> to start an automatic?

First clever idea: Don't do bonehead things like leaving the lights on
at the beach (Yeah, I know, we all have brain-farts now and then) or
just plain idiotically STUPID things like letting frat-boys use your
*CAR* as a *BOOM-BOX*. (for this one, I put on my best "Red Foreman"
voice and say "Serves you right, dumbass!" with absolutely no attempt at
being humorous) Notice that I used two different words there? A car is
transportation. A boom-box is a music producing device. Learn and
understand the difference, apply that undersanding, and you'll never
have such a problem again - at least not from that source - Guess it
can't rule out a brain-fart at the beach, huh?

Failing that, get a AAA card. I have yet to even hear RUMORS about a car
with a battery so dead that a AAA card can't get it started, or to home
or the shop. Remember Visa's "ATM fix EVERYTHING!" ad campaign a few
years back? Well, when it comes to stranded cars, it ain't ATM that
fixes everything - It's *AAA*

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info