Old January 23rd 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default '95 Honda Accord hydraulic(?) clutch failure...

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:01:41 -0500, Darryl
> wrote:

>A friend of mine has a '95 Accord with what sounds like a hydraulic
>clutch..."the" fluid is leaking so she fills it as required, however,
>she drove it without fluid over the weekend. Topped it up this
>morning and the clutch doesn't disengage. She can start the car in
>neutral but she can't put it into any gear. When the car is off, she
>can put the car in gear and when she tries to start it with the clutch
>pedal depressed (i.e., clutch should be disengaged), the car lurches
>and stalls.
>
>Bad cable?
>
>TIA!

Bad clutch master cylinder and possibly slave cylinder, but master
generally goes first.

Easy to change? I just did one on a 97 which is the same setup. Not
too hard but helps if you are small, wirey and have little hands. On
the 95 nuts that hold the master cylinder are on the inside. Plus
there is a cotter pin that has to be removed to disconnect the piston
rod from the clutch pedal bracket.

Steps are.

Disconnect the fluid line, remove the cotter pin holding the rod, back
off the two nuts on the inside firewall that hold the cylinder on, go
back in reverse order with a new/rebuilt cylinder, fill and bleed.
the bleeder valve is at the slave cylinder location.