Old January 1st 10, 08:46 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

Default new Honda CR-V break in

On 01/01/2010 12:25 PM, Guy wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 10:05:17 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> > wrote:
>
>> In >,
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Of course I'll read / re-read parts of the manual. I
>>> remember the sales person mentioning something about a reminder
>>> light??

>> wow.
>>
>> Spend $25,000 and you don't read the manual first thing, and you don't
>> pay attention when the guy shows you details?
>>
>> wow.

> I guess you haven't bought a new vehicle lately. If you did, you
> might have more important things on your mind at the time of purchase
> then the maintenance minder. Besides it's in the manual to read,
> right? Then no big deal as I see it.
>

>> Yes, it's called Maintenance Minder. It will show a letter/number
>> combination when maintenance is due, and you look in the owner's manual
>> (yes, there's that nasty word again) to find out what services are
>> associated with that combination.
>>
>> What you DON'T do is blindly walk into a dealer and tell them "I have B3
>> due" and let the dealer define what should be done. That's just license
>> to steal. Do what the owner's manual says.

> I will.
>>
>> And ignore the maintenance minder at your own risk, frankly--be that
>> mechanical risk to the car, or financial risk to your wallet.

> I do on my Accord and no problem. I do oil changes religiously at
> 3500 miles despite what the maintenance light says on my accord. So
> far it's runs well. Personally I've read Hondas can be abused and
> still no problems. I don't recommend abusing them but I don't think
> you need to follow the manual to the T either. I babied a Chevy I
> bought new once and it was a lemon from day one. I think the manual
> is a great guide but not a bible as some people make it out to be
> here. I think judgement is always a good thing.

so, you're going to do analysis and get some numbers on which to base
your judgment?

> I was hoping
> people here had some but apparently not.

some people here /do/ have numbers. and experience. but you don't seem
to think that matters.

> I guess they just follow
> the manual blindly without judgement. Engineers are good but they
> aren't gods.

as opposed to a guy with no numbers and no experience? that's retarded.

bottom line dude - it's your car - you do what you want. but don't ask
advice if you don't want to hear it. and you have no business getting
offended if people have a negative reaction to you dismissing their
correct advice as of no consequence.