Old January 1st 10, 08:25 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Guy[_2_]

Default new Honda CR-V break in

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 10:05:17 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Guy" > wrote:
>
>> Of course I'll read / re-read parts of the manual. I
>> remember the sales person mentioning something about a reminder
>> light??

>wow.
>
>Spend $25,000 and you don't read the manual first thing, and you don't
>pay attention when the guy shows you details?
>
>wow.

I guess you haven't bought a new vehicle lately. If you did, you
might have more important things on your mind at the time of purchase
then the maintenance minder. Besides it's in the manual to read,
right? Then no big deal as I see it.

>Yes, it's called Maintenance Minder. It will show a letter/number
>combination when maintenance is due, and you look in the owner's manual
>(yes, there's that nasty word again) to find out what services are
>associated with that combination.
>
>What you DON'T do is blindly walk into a dealer and tell them "I have B3
>due" and let the dealer define what should be done. That's just license
>to steal. Do what the owner's manual says.

I will.

>And ignore the maintenance minder at your own risk, frankly--be that
>mechanical risk to the car, or financial risk to your wallet.

I do on my Accord and no problem. I do oil changes religiously at
3500 miles despite what the maintenance light says on my accord. So
far it's runs well. Personally I've read Hondas can be abused and
still no problems. I don't recommend abusing them but I don't think
you need to follow the manual to the T either. I babied a Chevy I
bought new once and it was a lemon from day one. I think the manual
is a great guide but not a bible as some people make it out to be
here. I think judgement is always a good thing. I was hoping
people here had some but apparently not. I guess they just follow
the manual blindly without judgement. Engineers are good but they
aren't gods.