Old November 12th 09, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Rusty Shackelford[_2_]

Default BugMe videos?

wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 07:04:19 GMT, Rusty Shackelford >
> wrote:
>
>> BTW, here are the at one time planned but never produced five addition
>> volumes of the BugMe Video Series:
>>
>> Volume 11 - Suspension (rebuild and lowering)
>>
>> Volume 12 - Convertible top
>>
>> Volume 13 - Interior (headliner, ragtop, seat upholstery, carpet)
>>
>> Volume 14 - Glass & Trim (replace glass, window regulator, door handles,
>> vent locks & frame)
>>
>> Volume 15 - Transmission rebuild
>>
>> Personally I'd really like to buy Volumes 11 & 15 and would probably buy
>> Volumes 13 & 14 as well.

> Why were they not produced? I'm building a 60 Ghia coupe
> and can use all the help I can get.
> There seems to be no info on replacing 1/4 window rubber,
> frame or glass any place on line
> Dave
> Daved&Confused

Heard second hand that sales of the first 10 tailed off after they
showed up on various internet video distribution sites and the dreaded
bittorrent. Kinda killed the desire to produce the final 5 volumes. If
true, damn shame that a great resource for the VW community will have
been lost because some people either just don't see downloading pirated
material as stealing (it is) or they're just too damn cheap. I haven't
heard that directly from Rick but heard it from someone that
communicates with him.

I for one would love to see Rick go through a transmission rebuild as a
video. That's one area that is sort of lacking in instructional
material. Several VW Engine rebuilding videos out there to chose from
(I have at least 3 and can say pretty confidently that Rick's is the
best) but not nearly as many amateurs doing transmission rebuilds. Some
specialty tools and skills required and most guys are just intimidated
at the prospect of tearing into a tranny. Never done it myself but I
figure if I had a BugMe video on it I'd have a fighting chance or at
least be able to access whether or not it's something that I would want
to tackle.