Old April 18th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Berg

Default Exhaust for 1641

Howard Rose wrote:
> On 17 Apr, 14:40, Speedy Jim > wrote:
>> One problem with many of the afetrmarket exhausts is the lack
>> of good flow of hot gases thru the manifold preheat pipe.
>> And you can't assume that just because a muffler is fitted with the
>> flanges to make the connection that exh gas will actually flow.
>>
>> Lack of preheat (hot spot) will cause bad stumbling problems
>> with the 34PICT, as if it didn't have enough problems of its own :-)

> Thanks Jim,
>
> I have to say, that was one of the main reasons why I was favouring
> the stock setup. Plus the fact that they fit first time, and work
> just as Volkswagen intended :-)
>
> The Monza on there before was horrific - the manifold was a pain to
> position correctly, and I was never convinced it had sealed properly
> either. Thank goodness on this car I have nearly got rid of all the
> infamous "previous owner syndrome"!
>
> My main concern was that fitting a stock exhaust to a slightly-larger-
> than-stock engine would throttle it somewhat.
>
> New piston rings for a 1641 are half the price of a set of new 1584
> B&P's...

The Austrian Porsche Rally team also did a few T1's. 126Hp from a 1599cc
with stock style exhaust, probably empty inside, but still stock style
with peashooters and all!

Monza exhaust is one of the worst flowing exhaust still on sale, along
with Brozol or Cofab (SP?).

J.