Old April 18th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Howard Rose[_1_]

Default Exhaust for 1641

On 17 Apr, 14:40, Speedy Jim > wrote:

> One problem with many of the afetrmarket exhausts is the lack
> of good flow of hot gases thru the manifold preheat pipe.
> And you can't assume that just because a muffler is fitted with the
> flanges to make the connection that exh gas will actually flow.
>
> Lack of preheat (hot spot) will cause bad stumbling problems
> with the 34PICT, as if it didn't have enough problems of its own :-)

Thanks Jim,

I have to say, that was one of the main reasons why I was favouring
the stock setup. Plus the fact that they fit first time, and work
just as Volkswagen intended :-)

The Monza on there before was horrific - the manifold was a pain to
position correctly, and I was never convinced it had sealed properly
either. Thank goodness on this car I have nearly got rid of all the
infamous "previous owner syndrome"!

My main concern was that fitting a stock exhaust to a slightly-larger-
than-stock engine would throttle it somewhat.

New piston rings for a 1641 are half the price of a set of new 1584
B&P's...