Old September 10th 04, 02:52 PM
Charlie Self

dreas responds:

>I imagine cars in the early sixties were cheap enough with huge discounts
>to fleet buyers that by the time they did 70,000 miles they had already paid
>for themselves and were written off and dumped on the used car market
>at any price to be rid of them. They were probably really plain cars,
>painted
>white without much fancy stuff on them, dog dish hubcaps, radio delete,
>manual brakes and steering and a two-speed automatic or three on the tree.
>Hell, that's just the kind of car I'd like to have today if I could find one
>that
>isn't on blocks in a junk yard with a tree growing through where the slant-6
>or stovebolt used to be...

That's what MOST cars were back then. My mother's first Valiant, a '62, was
white with only a radio for an extra.

I have no idea what the mileage was when she got rid of that slant six, but a
lot, and she was not a believer in changing the oil every 1500 miles as
recommended back then. My father was an auto mechanic, and had to sneak
tune-ups in. For some reason, Mom preferred to run the vehicle until it stopped
instead of doing plugs and points every 10,000 miles. It's a good thing gas
wasn't much over 20 cents a gallon.

Charlie Self
"Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and
hurry off as if nothing happened." Sir Winston Churchill