Old September 9th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
duty-honor-country[_5_]

Default Clutch not returning

Count Floyd wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 11:03:16 UTC, "duty-honor-country"
> > wrote:
>

> > Count Floyd wrote:
> > > I have a restored 1940 Chrysler Royal, all restored to original. In
> > > the last couple of months, my clutch has started to not "pop" back
> > > when released and I have been using my toe to pull it back. Shifting
> > > is still good, no clashing, but could this be the spring? I had a
> > > friend who knows old cars, and he says the spring looks good. Any
> > > suggestions would be appreciated.
> > > --
> > > "What do you mean there's no movie?"

> > There is a pedal/linkage return spring outside of the transmission on
> > most old cars, but also the pressure plate itself returns the pedal as
> > well- you may have a worn out pressure plate- or the clutch has
> > excessive freeplay in the linkage.

> I was hoping it was merely an adjustment, which it might well be, but
> if it is the pressure plate, I guess it is time for a new clutch kit!
>

> --
> "What do you mean there's no movie?"

you have to get under the vehicle and have someone else work the clutch
pedal, and see what's happening under there- if there's play in the
linkage, it's easy to adjust out with the pedal free play adjustment
under the car. If that is ok already, then your pressure plate is shot.