Old November 20th 05, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Is this statement true?

Julie P. wrote:
> A professional mechanic once posted in another forum that if your car is
> well maintained by a competent mechanic who maintains his education, it
> should NEVER break down without warning, leaving you stranded.
>
> Is this statement true?
>
> I think back to the last eight times I have completely broken down:
>
> 1) Brake line burst (cause: my failure to replace very rusty line for years)
>
> 2) Alternator died (I had warnings, but thought it was just the battery.
> PepBoys mechanic failed to check alternator when I replaced battery a few
> days earlier)
>
> 3) Belt tensioner gave way (due to my failure to realize this was a
> minatainable component over the years)
>
> 4) Blower motor and radiator fan stopped working for unknown reason (still
> trying to diagnose this).
>
> 5) Total loss of engine oil, due to mechanic claiming my Fram filter I
> provided him for an oil change was faulty. I actually think he didn't put it
> on right. I now do my own oil changes and have never had a problem with a
> leak or Fram filter.

oh geez. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER USE FRAM. FRAM = UNMITIGATED ****.
You could seriously wad up your feces, put it in an orange can, and
install it on your engine, and it would be as good as a Fram filter.

> 6) Starter died (I had thought it was my loose battery terminals all this
> time)
>
> 7) Starter #2 died. I had warnings. Hammering on it got it to start.
>
> 8) Starter bolt cracked, thereby cracking and dislodging starter. Cheap
> chain discount auto part/service store said it was my fault (VIP Discount
> Auto in New England). Strange, both of their lifetime warranty piece of crap
> starters broke off the bolts since they shook so violently when starting the
> car. One time they had to pull the engine in order to have a machine shop
> drill out the bolt! Cost them over $500, and they tried to make me pay. But
> since going to an AC Delco starter, never a problem, and it always starts
> quietly!
>
> So, as you can see, all of the above breakdowns, with the exception of the
> radiator fan and blower motor above (#4) have had have been due to my own
> failures, at least in part. So that statement the mechanic made above does
> make sense, for th emost part.
>
> Julie

Sounds like you're learning to a) become better at seeing potential
problems and b) having a few lessons in what are quality parts and what
are not. Pretty soon you probably will reach that Zen-like state where
you can all but predict what's going to break next, and when...

nate

(whose car hasn't left him stranded, but is vibrating like mad, and I
can't figure it out.)