Old June 26th 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Default Exhaust plugged up (88VW Fox, 1.8L, CIS-E?)

Is this still that '88 Fox?

If you try running the engine with the 02 sensor unplugged/removed then the
engine should run differently. ;-)
Usually poorly if the 02 sensor still functions! 8^o

WOW I answered that question about a test for a plugged catalytic converter
a couple of posts ago..........I will bring it back to the top now.
If the cat. conv. is clogged then the back pressure will be very strong
BEFORE the cat.
I also feel the exhaust coming out of the tailpipe! If it is strong then I
will assume that the cat is fine! <g>

Now if yours is a VW up to 1992 then you might have a CO pipe that has an
easily removeable cap on it. Take that cap off and determine the back
pressure. Just a little exhaust should come out of it if it is not clogged.

Camshaft timing and ign timing can make the engine run well or poorly.
Also vacuum leaks can make the engine run poorly.