Old March 9th 04, 07:59 PM
Jesse

Default Bait and Switch on Trade-in Estimate Payoffs

So I had an interesting weekend trading in my leased 2002 Toyota Camry
for an older model 1999 Nissan Pathfinder.

I basically fought tooth and nail to get the deal I wanted - which was
good, but it wasn't anything that you would write home about. However
I agreed to the deal. I was buying the Pathfinder for $409 / mo for
60 months and my trade-in was going to be paid off by the dealership.

When I got to the finance department they showed me the numbers and
quoted an estimate payoff of $18,000 for the Camry. Which I quickly
notified as being the wrong number. I had told them repeatedly what
my monthly payments were and the residual payoff of the car. Which to
me was an estimated $23,000 - I told him to do the math and I was
correct. He then said something like, "let me check with the
salesman" and came back 10 minutes later and told me that they would
take care of the difference. I immediately asked for it in writing
and he start to backpedal. He stated that they would work out a deal
with me. I told him to give me that in writing, and once again he
said that if things weren't worked out that I could have my old car
back and the deal would be nullified. So I (regrettably) signed the
contract. Stating their estimate was 18,000. I told him I did not
want to get a phone call on Monday. Guess what happened on Monday?

So now they want me to come in and work out a deal with them. I
actually told him to come to my office, but of course he wouldn't do
that. I called Better Business Bureau and lodged a complaint, called
a lawyer, and sent a letter to Toyota. Is there anything else I
should do? I'm in California where there is no cooling off period.
Does anyone know where I can go to get a lawyer that handles these
kind of issues?