Old March 21st 07, 10:55 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Fred W

Default E39 / E60 Clutch sensitivity

wrote:
> On 20 Mar 2007 22:41:29 -0700, "BobP" > wrote:
>

>>I've driven an E39 540i and an E60 545i and noticed that while the
>>clutch throw was fairly lengthy, the actual engagement zone was pretty
>>small, particularly on the E39. Is that just the nature of the beast
>>on these cars or did I bump into a couple funny ones? It's not a deal-
>>killer item, but is there any way to adjust the clutch to give me more
>>room to work with? The E39 in particular seemed to be
>>hypersensitive, with the engagement zone being at a point where the
>>clutch lever was "pushing back" harder than it did earlier in its
>>travel.
>>
>>What say the FOAK?
>>
>>Rancho Bob

> Look in any decent BMW mag' Long bolt with bit of stout rubber (shox mount) on
> the end is now being sold to shorten the time taken for gear shifts.

I don't think that would solve what the OP was complaining of. He's
saying (paraphrasing) that the point of clutch engagement is high up on
the pedal throw, and coincides with the "over-center" point of the pedal
spring, which makes it difficult to operate it smoothly.

The engagement point will sort of "self regulate" as the clutch disk
wears since it is hydraulically operated clutch. So, I don't think you
will be very successful in lowering the engagement point. You may be
able to play around with different pedal springs and the mechanism to
make it so the "over-center" occurs at a different place in the pedal throw.

Either that or, like most of these type of things, you'll probably get
used to it after driving it for a while. Think of the added benefit,
you'll be giving your left leg a daily workout... ;-)

--
-Fred W