Old August 20th 05, 08:20 AM
Jeff Reid

> If I were given a warning for something I posted, rather than lashing
> out at the moderators, I'd re-examine my own behavior and if I felt the
> warning was unwarranted I would contact the moderators privately. I'm
> certain doing that would provide a positive result in all but the most
> extreme cases.

Extreme cases, like mine:

First a RSC moderator edits a post of my to delete a link to a widely
available (back in 2002) video of David Coulthard doing a qualifying
lap back from 2002. I had a yellow warning avatar attached to all my
posts, and a private email stating it was because in that moderator's
opinion, that any video showing a F1 car would be copywrighted. Another
person posted in a thread asking why I got a yellow warning.

I responded to the moderator that the video in question had been in the
public domain for a long time, but agreed not to post a link to it at RSC.
The moderator insisted on leaving the yellow warning unless I got the
FIA to mail a letter to RSC stating I had permission to host the video.
I responded back that this was the equivalent of being "assumed guilty
until proven innocent" and that it was also the equivalent of defamation
of character.

Then a RSC moderator responded that I could no longer post a link to
any video, including the videos I personally made (I've made
a lot of racing game videos, and have posted these at many forums).

About the same time, Mbrio privately mailed to me that my reference to
"defamation of character" was "extremely serious", and unless I sent a
written letter agreeing to their policies within 24 hours, I would be
banned. I responded that I never agreed to having a warning avatar
attached to my posts, that I no longer wanted to be a member of RSC,
and wanted all of my posts deleted, as I considered my posts to be
copyrighted, and because of their violation of the original member
agreement, I was no longer giving them permission to host my posts.
Mbrio later sent me a regular email stating that I had been banned
and that all my posts were deleted as requested.