Old June 13th 11, 06:37 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Jim H

Default 2014 Corvette

On 6/12/2011 10:13 PM, uncle_vito wrote:
> > wrote in message
> .. .
>>
>> > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>> http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...tte/index.html
>>>
>>> I may actually be interested in buying a new Corvette. A smaller, higher
>>> revving, variable overhead cam design with direct fuel injection may be
>>> in order for 2014. The present C6 has a neanderthal pushrod V-8 and a
>>> horrible interior. Also the looks are gaudy.
>>>
>>> I hope the 2014 brings the average age of the Corvette driver down to age
>>> 70. I am considerably less than that age and do not want to be seen
>>> driving 'an old man's car'.
>>>
>>> Also add to the fact that GM talked the government into ****ing away
>>> perfectly good cash to cover for GM's management stupidity and it is
>>> really a reach for me to want to buy any GM vehicle these days.
>>>
>>> I think I will keep driving my 64 convertible. Back then, GM wasn't the
>>> joke of a car company that it is now.
>>>
>>> Vito

>> You are Johnny on the spot to pick up this breaking news, oh wait, that
>> was released as a 2011 by Left Lane News and as a 2013 by others back in
>> 2009, now slipped to 2014 and I'm not betting on that being true. Even the
>> obnoxious car presented as the next generation Corvette was not built by
>> GM. The car will get a restyled rear end and a touch up on the front, some
>> lighter material in some parts, and you will be told how nice the
>> interior is but only color changes will be made. As far as VVT my guess
>> would be it will still be a Neanderthal push rod engine.
>>
>> Sure you will buy a 2014 Corvette design being as youthful as you seem to
>> think a Corvette buyer needs to be. They bring out that abortion and it
>> will have a youthful price tag able to hit 70K with very few options. Just
>> the car for the fast food workers budget. My guess would be that it will
>> be a modified body and maybe slight frame change for the C6 with an engine
>> that could be troublesome at best and under powered as a base unit. Then
>> add a good power plant and the price will be astronomical, like the joke
>> they called the ZR1 back in the '90s.
>>
>> At one time I looked forward to driving the next generation Corvettes but
>> not what you describe nor the one being presented by the car rags.
>>
>> Let me know when you get off your ass and go drive that "gaudy" C6 to
>> redline in fifth gear, or even 4th for that matter, ahh, forget that you
>> couldn't handle 3rd, let alone 4th or 5th. You don't have the balls for
>> that so why would you need a higher revving engine in a lighter car? I
>> guess there are those that just have to own something even if they can't
>> drive them. Drove the C6 to a festival in mid state this weekend in a very
>> hard rain coming home, still got 29 MPG and did hit triple figures on the
>> HUD once. Next day drove the '64 to a nearby rib off and was able to get
>> 10 MPG and saw 60 MPH once as any of you old drivers can. Stopped at a
> [...]

I retired early at 56, and I've been retired for 5 years now. Social
Security is not available at 60 1/2. Early SS is available at 62. It is
reduced by about 25% at that age. If you are tapping your 401K at 59
1/2, you will probably run out of money at some point. If you do take
money out, you should only take 4% per year. Also, don't forget that it
is taxed as income. I'm hoping to hold out until I must take
distributions at 70 1/2.

I love my '93 40th Anniversary Vette. It still drives like new, with
just over 70K miles, and brand new Goodyear tires. But, I really like
the C6 also.

--
Jim