Old April 13th 10, 12:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

Default Rotor, without the 12 k-ohms resistance

rvirgin22 wrote:
> .. Distributor rotors, without 12,000 ohms resistance
>
> 1) The original Bosch rotors, as recommended by VW, I believe
> had 12,000 ohms, or was it 6,000 ohms of resistance across the
> contacts... that being from the centre, out to the tip.
>
> 2) What I am finding these days (probably from China) is just a
> straight through conductor with zero resistance.
>
> 3) Would love to hear feedback on what harm might come using
> these newer type rotors built without the resistance.
>
> 4) I am guessing/hoping it would not overheat the coil, since the
> proper Bosch coils have their own built-in resistance/ballast in
> the primary windings to control the proper amount of primary
> current in the primary windings... and thus control the proper level
> of current in the secondary, going through the rotor. Secondary
> current is always proportional to primary current, since that is the
> only place the secondary circuit can get its electrical energy.
>
> 5) So I am hoping some of you might have some thoughts on
> these newer rotors being found in the market missing the
> 12,000 ohms, or 6,000 ohms of resistance.
>
> 6) Hope Speedy Jim is still on his computer since I know anything
> electrical is definitely his specialty.
>
> Ross Virgin, Toronto, Canada
> ..

Ross:

Resistors were added some years back to help reduce ignition noise
in car radios. There were resistor plugs and resistor wires and
resistor rotors.

Radio noise is much less a problem today and many feel that any
resistance in the HI tension circuit degrades performance.
That's probably why you're seeing rotors with the resistor omitted.

Some discussion he
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewto...=99137&start=0

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/