Old April 13th 10, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
rvirgin22

Default Rotor, without the 12 k-ohms resistance

... Distributor rotors, without 12,000 ohms resistance

1) The original Bosch rotors, as recommended by VW, I believe
had 12,000 ohms, or was it 6,000 ohms of resistance across the
contacts... that being from the centre, out to the tip.

2) What I am finding these days (probably from China) is just a
straight through conductor with zero resistance.

3) Would love to hear feedback on what harm might come using
these newer type rotors built without the resistance.

4) I am guessing/hoping it would not overheat the coil, since the
proper Bosch coils have their own built-in resistance/ballast in
the primary windings to control the proper amount of primary
current in the primary windings... and thus control the proper level
of current in the secondary, going through the rotor. Secondary
current is always proportional to primary current, since that is the
only place the secondary circuit can get its electrical energy.

5) So I am hoping some of you might have some thoughts on
these newer rotors being found in the market missing the
12,000 ohms, or 6,000 ohms of resistance.

6) Hope Speedy Jim is still on his computer since I know anything
electrical is definitely his specialty.

Ross Virgin, Toronto, Canada