Old April 21st 11, 07:36 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

Default I was trying not to expect too much from rF2, but...

(William Bradshaw) wrote:

> As the dev of NSS

Ah, that's very interesting. Having only recently reactivated rF I was a bit short
of oval action. Since leaving iRacing (albeit temporarily because iRacing is the
Hotel California of simming) I've missed my Silverado... though I haven't missed
the occasional 1.5 hour races with a million laps under yellow.

You've prompted me to do some downloading. I'll investigate later.

> I'm just hoping that their tire and suspension updates will do
> sim racing justice.

Well, I think it's fair to use iRacing as a modern benchmark in these things, and
the rF guys (especially Tim!) must know what they're competing with. So I'm
confident we'll be getting something quite impressive.

Perhaps not as impressive as many people hope for though. The rF forum seems to be
full of folk expecting nothing short of a feature-packed miracle! When it turns out
to be similar to iRacing, with lots of stuff on the to-do list, I fear a minor
revolt.

But then the simming community has always been pretty revolting and stroppy, so
there'll be nothing new there. :-)

> It sucks trying to develop something
> and then realize the physics just don't support it.

In the distant past I did some game programming in assembly code, and being in
complete control of the code was both frustrating and rewarding at the same time. I
can only imagine the frustration associated with trying to make other people's code
do what you want! :-) But it's always nice to 'meet' people who've actually given
something to the community rather than just taking/complaining. So, er, thanks
Will!

> Of course, I was excited about NASCAR 2011 as well...then I read
> the reviews and forums. Talk about deflated expectations.

I have so far managed to resist the temptation to buy a PS3 import on UK's Ebay.
Maybe when it's a bit cheaper. Ok, a lot cheaper. :->

It did seem to have potential though, you're right. I just got scared off by the
nasty physics in some of the videos, then user reports.

Andrew McP