Old July 27th 09, 07:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Top Speed of an 06 6 cylinder Manual Mustang

"John S." > wrote in message ...
> On Jul 24, 6:06 am, columbotrek > wrote:
> > John S. wrote:

> > > As delivered from Ford the V6 is limited to 113 MPH... You don't put a
> > > "chip" in this car. You will need to buy a handheld tuner and reflash
> > > the car. Most of these will either remove the limiter or allow you to
> > > raid the limit. The car should easily be able to hit 120 MPH...

> > > Besides making sure you have the properly rated tires, I would also be
> > > leery of the stock drive shaft... they are pretty much junk... They
> > > vibrate like crazy.... also I don't remember exactly when Ford
> > > switched but the early drive shafts did NOT use C-clips to hold the u-
> > > joints in... instead they were staked in... but eventually the stakes
> > > would give way any the drive shafts would come apart... which is very
> > > bad thing to happen at 120 MPH... luckily the ones I know of were all
> > > on the dyno... but still caused a fair amount of damage...

> > > Even if you drive shaft is clipped I would still recommend an after
> > > market drive shaft if you plan on doing a lot of high speed
> > > driving.... I couldn't keep a rear pinion seal in my car until i
> > > replaced mine...

> > Interesting comments. Is the drive shaft on the GT the same as on the
> > V6? I have had my S197 GT upwards of 130 on a couple occasions and not
> > a hint of any vibration at all.

> Nope, GT and V6 are very different driveshafts... the V6 one is a
> POS....

Absolutely correct. You'll begin feeling vibrations in a V6 at
something around 95-100 mph, and it quickly gets worse.

Another problem in the V6 is, at these speeds the car will start
to feel very light and will begin to drift, and if you correct too
quickly or in the wrong direction, well, it's called natural
selection I think.