Old July 14th 08, 01:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

Default Battery terminals

"Old Wolf" > wrote in message
> On Jul 13, 4:31 am, Mike Romain > wrote:
>> I think the reason your battery was flat involves that big spark you
>> saw. That indicates a large draw on the battery. There should only be
>> a small crackle when the post tightens up, not a chunk blowing arc.

> I recharged the battery and tested with an ammeter before
> connecting the negative lead, and it showed 600mA being
> drawn. I believe this is quite high (my other car of the same
> manufacturer and similar year only draws 200mA). I might
> have to take it to an electrician to get it checked out.
>
> (I googled and it suggested doing voltage drop testing on
> the alternator, but my alternator is in an awkward place).
>
>> I use dielectric grease over my terminals to help keep corrosion down.

> Right, so you apply that to the terminals before connecting
> them?

600 milliamperes is far too high for quiescent residual current. Now, when
you
first connect the battery, some systems may temporarily draw increased
levels
of current but they should quickly settle down. Normally you should not
draw
more than 30-40 ma, or a little higher, at steady state with everything
turned off.

The 600 ma level is not acceptable if it stays that way.

You can slather the terminals with dielectric grease before you connect
them.
You can give them a heavy coating after you connect them, but you will not
get the same level of protection.