Old July 13th 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Default Tune-up for a 1996 GT

Ivan K. wrote:
> Michael Johnson wrote:
>> It is all hype. Unless you current wires are trashed you will NEVER
>> get an additional 15 hp or 15% improvement in mileage from a set plug
>> wires. Never believe the claims from these yahoos. All they want is
>> your money and they will flat out lie to get it.

> Sure I understood that there is exaggeration involved
> in this advertisements. The fact remains however that
> the "check engine" light has stayed on for a day or so
> on at least three occasions over the last two months
> (it just happened again this afternoon) and I believe
> this means I should go a head and get a major tune-up.
> Also, I acquired the car second hand and who knows
> how well the previous owners took care of it.
> Also, there are currently 70,000 miles on the
> care.

You should pull the computer codes and determine the real cause of the
problem. Just throwing parts at it isn't a wise use of your money. My
guess is there is an emissions problem that can be caused by any number
of parts and most of them are not tuneup related.

> Should I just get stock Ford spark plugs, plug wires and
> coil wires, or are there some after market parts
> that might give be a bit better performance
> and/or fuel efficiency?

Pull the computer codes and start from there. Otherwise you are just
spending money and throwing parts at the problem in the hope it goes
away. If your gas mileage is typical for that year and model of car
then replacement of plugs, wires etc. isn't needed, IMO.

> Those guys on HorsePower TV recently did
> such an upgrade to a vehicle and there before
> and after Dyno tests did show some improvement.
> I always felt the people on that show were
> sincere, but maybe I am just naive.

Ever notice how those shows always slide in the names of the parts
suppliers? They do this because they get paid to do it. Anything can
be manipulated to produce a desired result. Like I said, don't blindly
believe anything from someone trying to make a profit from you.

> Thank you for your input, Mr. Johnson. I will
> _definitely_ look into the subframe connectors and/or
> rear end gears in the next year or so.

If you really want a performance improvement spend your money on
something that will guarantee results like gear swaps etc.