Old July 12th 08, 04:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Erik[_4_]

Default Battery terminals

In article
Old Wolf > wrote:

> Erik wrote:
>
> > > Last week, after charging my battery when it was
> > > flat, I noticed a lot of that bluish-white salt stuff
> > > built up in the negative battery lead. I cleaned it
> > > off and reattached the lead, and then as I was
> > > doing up the nut with the spanner, I got a massive
> > > spark discharge

> > Hmmm I bet you were putting the positive terminal back on, and your
> > wrench touched something grounded.

> No - I attached the positive lead first and did its nut
> up and put the protective cover on; and then attached
> the negative lead, and then as I was doing up the nut
> on the negative lead, the spark happened. I was
> standing clear of the car and the spanner didn't
> touch anything apart from the negative stuff.
>
> > Auto parts stores have special battery terminal brushes... they're cheap
> > and work great. You can also submerge the cable end/s in a mixture of
> > baking soda water and the corrosion salts will boil away. The baking
> > soda method doesn't work well if the terminals are oily or greasy. Keep
> > the baking soda mixture out of the battery.
> >
> > Once you get the terminals clean and installed, giving then a good
> > coating of heavy grease will prevent further corrosion. Be sure to pack
> > it in well under the terminal. (Acids don't attack grease)

> OK, I'll do that. Any particular sort of grease?

I just use wheel bearing grease... I have an old tub that became
contaminated, and was delegated to battery use years ago, I think it
might be sodium base if I recall correctly. I don't think I would use
Moly-disulfide or the like. Others here might have more info.

Strange you got such a big spark... were the lights or something on?

Erik