Old February 26th 20, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

Default What actually happened with the parking brake?

On 27/2/20 12:39 am, delvon daily wrote:
> Xeno wrote:
>
>> Note, when bleeding fluid through the brakes, do not depress the brake
>> pedal to the floor. Depress it only as much as the normal travel would
>> have been. This is because the bottom end of the MC bore may have a
>> corrosion or similar build up which can damage MC seals.

> Thank you for your advice and explanation of why when I replace the brake
> fluid I don't want my helper to pump the pedal all the way to the floor.

Yeah, advice a bit late for your case since your pedal has already been
to the floor but worth keeping in mind for future bleeding tasks.

> I'll use a turkey baster to suck the yellow fluid out of the master
> cylinder (leaving just enough old fluid to cover the opening), fill the

I have the proper suction pump *dedicated* for that purpose - reduces
cross contamination risk. You might want to consider one of the bleeding
kits with a one way valve - makes brake bleeding a one man task.

> master cylinder near the top with the blue fluid (leaving enough empty not
> to spill), and then crack open the brake line with those wrap around open
> end wrenches at the rear furthest wheel first, and have the helper go
> "almost" to the floor each time until I see blue fluid consistently, and
> then move on to the next furthest from the driver in turn until I get to
> the driver side front wheel.
>
> Is that the proper replacement process?

Yes except you should be cracking open the bleeder nipples. The bleeders
are, or should be, at the high point in the calipers/wheel cylinders
and, as a consequence, will be better placed to remove air, if any, from
the system. Cracking open pipe connections will not guarantee old fluid
is removed from the calipers/wheel cylinders. Disturb *pipe connections*
only when necessary and, for bleeding, it is rarely necessary since they
are often *not* at the high point. Be sure you don't slip up and run
short of fluid in the reservoir. Air in the ABS system can be a bugger
to remove.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)