Old September 26th 09, 02:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Default Can I Pour Stop Leak into the Coolant Bottle?

Will Honea wrote:
> DougW wrote:
>
>> The best thing to do is put a new radiator in there. The stop-leak
>> stuff isn't terribly good for the coolant system or for the heater
>> core.

> That's my plan and has been for 7-8 years but the damned copper OEM
> radiator just won't die!.

You can do what I did and ram a tree branch through it. Little bugger
snuck up from under the bumper too.

> Those plastic bottles use a plastic cap that serves as the radiator
> cap as well with pressure regulation and backflow relief just like a
> normal radiator cap. After a while, the plastic shell starts to
> degrade and cracks. One fell completely apart on me. My fallback is
> fab a metal cap that will accept a standard radiator cap. After 22
> years, you sometimes have to get creative with parts....

Yea. I had a similar leak and tried epoxy and tapping the ears back
down a bit. It held for about a month then sprung another leak.

--
DougW