Old June 16th 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

Default BMW Clutch Issue

In article >,
Scott Dorsey > wrote:
> Starting around 220,000 miles, the clutch began sticking closed. That
> is, I'd put my foot down, the pedal would stick to the ground, and the
> clutch would remain engaged. I could pull the pedal up and pump it down
> a couple times and the clutch would open properly again. It started
> happening now and then, and then more and more often.

> I replaced the plunger on the clutch master cylinder, which was leaking,
> on the suspicion the seal in it was bad. Didn't fix anything. Took it
> to a respected BMW indy mechanic around here, who swore I did it wrong
> and replaced the plunger again. Didn't fix anything. Replaced the
> whole master cylinder. Didn't do anything. Changed the fluid and
> replaced the slave cylinder. Still no go.

If it pumps up it can only really be hydraulic related. If you've fitted a
new slave cylinder I'd guess the master cylinder needs replacing - not
just new seals. Also bleeding these can be difficult - best to use a
pressure bleeder, or unbolt the slave cylinder, clamp the piston, and
raise it above the master (if the pipe allows)

One other thought - does the pedal sink to the floor after time if the car
is just parked up and not started? If so it's got to be hydraulics. If it
is fine on this test it's just possible run out on the withdrawal bearing
or the clutch parts this bears on etc is upsetting the correct clearance -
but that's a long shot, and should be pretty obvious by looking.

--
*Arkansas State Motto: Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Laugh.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.