Old March 14th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Power Steering Fluid vs Slick 50?

Barbara Harris wrote:
> is it possible to substitute power steering fluid for a synthetic brand oil
> additive e.g., slick 50, prolong, duralube?
>
> Larry Von

It's possible to substitute it, sure. But I would not recommend either
the substitution or the use of Slick 50 or any other additive. I would
use fluids as follows:

1. Engine oil in the engine.
2. Transmission fluid in the transmission.
3. Power steering fluid in the power steering unit.
4. Brake fluid in the master cylinder.
5. Coolant in the cooling system.
6. Washer fluid in the washer fluid reservoir.
7. Slick 50, Motor Honey, snake oil and other additives should be left
on the shelf and save yourself a bunch of money.