Old August 11th 16, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek[_2_]

Default 2013 Hyundai Sonata - Caster at low end of Spec Range

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 19:07:56 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>Bill Vanek wrote: "On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 18:18:34 -0700 (PDT),
>wrote:
>"Lots of cross camber in front - could make it pull to the left, and
>rear toe is out of spec. It's not much, but will contribute to tire
>wear. "
>
>Yeah, didn't think about that front camber! It's 'in spec', but
>cross camber is greater than half a degree.
>
>As far as rear toe goes: The way it is now is countering
>*some* of the left pull due to slightly less positive left
>caster and significantly less negative left front camber.
>That's probably why the alignment tech himself told me
>he "wouldn't touch it".

The rear end will not make the car pull. The thrust angle can make the
car move to one side, but that's not pull, it's simply where the car
is pointed. It's trivial to correct the rear toe, and that should
correct the thrust angle. Rear caster will do nothing, but rear camber
& toe will cause those tires to wear.

>Here's the issue: Both Hyundai dealers say there's nothing
>that can be done about that camber. The "camber kit" available
>early on in this run of Sonata is no longer available, so they say,
>and I should just "live with it".

>I don't believe them!

I don't think you should believe them. It's also possible that you
could shift the engine cradle, or whatever is used for the suspension
support, a little bit. Was the car ever in a collision? If not, there
must be a way to adjust the camber, at least with aftermarket parts.

>"If the car simply feels a little "unsure" as far as straight lines go,
>try fiddling with the tire pressure. Try an increase, try a decrease.
>It can sometimes make a substantial difference. My experience"
>that the recommended pressure is almost always the best. "
>
>Unsure?? LOL It is definitely a two-hand car, at 30 or 60mph.

Are your tires overinflated, or right at the recommended pressure for
the installed tires?

>We seem to agree on tire pressures. Hyundai's recommended
>pressure is 33psi cold, all around. I keep it 35psi, as it firms up
>the ride and handling a bit.

But do you have the original spec'd tires on the car? Are they good
tires? Tires can have a serious impact on road feel.

>Vanek: This car is very 'busy' spec-wise: It has a lot of
>counter-aligning going on: Negative rear thrust angle countering
>the aforementioned caster and camber issues in the front.
>It's like driving in a 'fog'.
>

>What it really needs is a little more left-front negative camber,
>and maybe a little less negative right-front camber. That is
>actually more of an issue than the caster, now that you
>pointed it out.
>

>So my challenge is finding someone to go above and beyond,
>even if there are just slightly bent parts up front causing it,
>and nothing else.

If you don't live in a big city area, you might have a problem finding
someone. Are there any racing shops, specialty shops, reputable tire
shops? I have to admit that even in bigger cities, it can be a
challenge finding someone. All you can do is drive around, talk to
different people, and hope to find someone who sounds like he knows
what he's talking about. For instance, if he tells you that toe can
make it pull to one side, or caster causes tire wear, he's not that
someone. And there are other commonly ignored specs that can help
point to bent parts, like toe-on-turns, and kingpin inclination.