Old November 23rd 11, 07:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

Default Tire load

On Nov 21, 9:07*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
> On Nov 16, 3:38*am, AD > wrote:
>

> > Parking here is extremely tight. Hence softroading is common if not
> > mandatory :-[
> > I got onto a packed dirt embankment lately and it looked like the rear
> > right was nearly off
> > the ground (A4 with sport suspenders has extremely beefy front and
> > rear sway bars and i think
> > that was a contributing factor to my one-wheel-in-the-air scenario).

> > The Michelin X-Ice 2 are 195 65R15 and the front right tire was
> > severely squished,
> > as if it had 10psi (it actually is inflated to 32).
> > It seems that two diagonally opposed tires (FR & RL) were severely
> > overloaded while FL was
> > carrying maybe 1/8th of the car weight. XI2 survived somehow with
> > about 3800lbs worth of
> > a car essentially resting on 2.5 tires; thusly I wonder
> > to what extent the passenger tires are overbuilt.

> > Me thinks if I have 91 load rating that's 1356lbs and 3800/2.5 is
> > 1520lbs.
> > If one manages to get two tires in the air that's 1900lbs per tire -
> > waaaay over the 1356lbs rating.
> > A blowout is sure to follow or not?

> > Now suppose I deflate to 25lbs before venturing into soft sands, load
> > capacity should drop lower yet, right?

> > thanks

> I had that happen to me the other day. The tire looked deflated but it
> was approaching *40 lbs when I measured it. These are Michelin Pilots.

There is a lot of Michelin Pilot models covering a few performance
categories. Do be sure to provide the full model name.

> I don't much care for them cause the rubber seems awfully soft and
> it's all tore up.

Well, "highway all-season" category seems to have been created for
people who value durability over grip. Also you could try
to go to a smaller wheel diameter necessitating a taller sidewall
to keep outer tire diameter about the same.

If you do not meticulously check the pressure just about every other
morning
you could also consider trading up to the current crop: from what
I hear uncle sam was insistent on making tire pressure monitoring
standard recently.
Sigh.