Old February 28th 09, 06:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

Default Consumer Reports and Saturn

In article >, SMS > wrote:
>Doug Miller wrote:
>
>> CR's surveys are entirely self-selected, which right off the bat makes them
>> completely invalid from a scientific standpoint.

>No, it simply makes them not double-blind surveys. Unless you think that
> a Saturn driver is more likely to complain about defects than a Toyota
>driver, the surveys are valid even though they're not double-blind. In
>fact you could argue that a Toyota owner would have higher expectations
>than a GM owner and be _more_ likely to complain about problems.

Sorry, that's not correct. Self-selected surveys are scientifically invalid.
Period.

>> "Often" is not the correct spelling of "sometimes".

>Because often is the proper word to describe the reality.

You go on believing that if it makes you feel better.

>It's easy to understand why some people get mad at the CR surveys and
>attempt to dismiss them simply because they are not the "perfect" survey

No, many people dismiss CR's surveys because they bear much less relationship
to reality than CR likes to pretend they do.

>where they would call 100,000 people at random and ask them all the
>questions in the survey, but it doesn't make their survey "completely
>invalid."

No, what makes the surveys completely invalid from a statistical standpoint is
the self-selected sampling. That isn't statistically valid. Period.

>And of course other publications and organizations reach largely the
>same conclusions with their own surveys, i.e. J.D. Power. It's not like
>CR is telling anyone anything that numerous other organizations haven't
>confirmed to be true.

Actually, it is like that. JD Power consistently ranks American cars much
higher than CR does -- like I said, CR's bias against American-made cars has
been obvious and widely known for decades. Your unwillingness, or inability,
to recognize that does not change it.