Old October 10th 04, 04:10 PM
SR-71

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "SR-71" > wrote:
>
> > Hi, I need some suggestions with this problem I encountered today --

I'll
> > provide as much information as I possibly can!

> I didn't even read your posting. The title says it all.
>
> All new rotors should be turned, on the car, per Honda specifications.
> Otherwise, you get the shakes.

I think it's fixed...

Thanks Elmo. I had seen this comment before in this newsgroup, but I had
also seen on a number of occasions that the rotors should not be turned on
Hondas as they will warp much, much faster. But I think I see what you mean
if they are new, the turning should only be slight enough to bring into spec
and not cause warping... At least that's my interpretation of what you mean
and I'll be sure to check this out the next go-around.

Caroline, thanks for the comments. Yes, it had been on gravel roads here in
the DC area on Friday riddled with large potholes (avoiding Friday traffic
on the Interstate), so I'll have to keep an eye on the suspension and
related parts. I had a four-wheel alignment about 5Kmi ago, and I adjusted
the PSI about a week ago. But after 162K mi...things are probably getting a
bit worn.

Anyway, I think you were both right. The new rotors must have been out of
spec/warped. After (1) disassembling and reassembling everything -- no
luck; (2) Trying different pads/shims -- no luck; finally (3) placing the
old Wearever rotors (sanded to remove glaze) back on and the new OEM
pads/shims, it seems to be working fine! I plan to buy a runout gauge and
micrometer today to keep handy for the next time and to check current/future
readings.

Thanks for all the advice. It seems to have solved the problem. I'll keep
my fingers crossed in the mean time and be prepared to check these
suggestions in the future.

Rousseau