Old October 10th 04, 04:49 AM
Caroline

"SR-71" > wrote
> Hi, I need some suggestions with this problem I encountered today -- I'll
> provide as much information as I possibly can!
>
> Stats:
> 1998 Accord V6 4-dr Sedan
> 162K mi
> New pads: OEM 45022-S87-A01
> New rotors: Wearever YH145232 (used previously on this car with success)
> Torque/Technical source: Helm Manual
>
> I've spend much time looking up past posts in the newsgroups and it looks
> like usually when a car has front end shaking while braking, it's
> recommended to check the rotors. But mine are new and didn't appear to
> arrive damaged in any way.

1.
a. Check tire inflation pressure.
b. Has the car been over any bumps or had anything happen to it such that it's
possible a wheel rim (or maybe another suspension or steering component) became
bent?

2.
Any chance you can put the old brake pads and shims in place (leaving the new
rotor in place) and see what happens then?

3.
From Wearever, can you get the specifications for the following?

3a. rotor thickness (for OEM 1995 Accord V6 sedan = 0.91 inch)
3b. allowable rotor thickness variation (probably around 0.0006 inch)
3c. allowable lateral runout (for OEM 1995 Accord V6 sedan = 0.004 inch)

Then can you get a micrometer and dial indicator gage to measure rotor thickness
and runout?

I understand that brand new, yet defective, rotors do appear now and then.

In the same vein, an article on runout in this month's issue of "Brake & Front
End" (an automotive trade magazine) observes: "Never take for granted that the
newly installed or freshly machined rotor is free of runout."

4. Disassemble. Carefully assemble and re-torque everything to spec. Maybe you
missed something the first time around?

Updates welcome (to help others in the future).

Good luck.