Old June 23rd 11, 04:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Default Testing Brake Fluid

hls > wrote:
>"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message news:itvfi1>
>> Problem is that this is very dependant on the electrodes being used.
>> If you had a couple standard electrodes, though, you could do it
>> accurately.

>I dont think even that would help this method, Scott.

It's true that there's other stuff that will increase conductivity, but I
think everything that will possibly increase conductivity is going to be
something you probably don't want in your brake lines.

But, unless you have calibrated electrodes and a calibrated volume,
you can't get resistivity from resistance.

>The most accurate method I know of for water in polyols is Karl Fischer
>titration....and that is beyond the cost limitations and technology of most
>people who want a value for water in polyols.

That seems severe overkill for the application, and definitely not an
easy kitchen job.

>There are some test strips:
>http://www.gwrauto.com/stripdip.htm
>
>that may be economical for shop use.

Frankly, it seems easier to change it than to test it, although I realize
some newer vehicles with ABS systems can make it more difficult to change.
--scott