Old June 23rd 11, 03:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

Default Testing Brake Fluid

On 06/23/2011 07:17 AM, hls wrote:

> "Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message news:itvfi1>
>> Problem is that this is very dependant on the electrodes being used.
>> If you had a couple standard electrodes, though, you could do it
>> accurately.
>> --scott
>> --

> I dont think even that would help this method, Scott.
>
> The most accurate method I know of for water in polyols is Karl Fischer
> titration....and that is beyond the cost limitations and technology of most
> people who want a value for water in polyols.
>
> There are some test strips:
> http://www.gwrauto.com/stripdip.htm
>
> that may be economical for shop use.

> http://brakefluidtest.com/news/speci...vs-water.shtml

there aren't many modern vehicles with brass brake componentry -
"copper" is just something to get the ignorati worried about so they pay
for more diagnostics and the service industry concerned that they "don't
get left behind" and buy new equipment.

as for test strips, they're ancient history.

<http://www.otctools.com/products/brake_fluid_safety_meter>

<http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/Storm-by-Central-STO3S121-p/sto3s121-01.htm>

--
nomina rutrum rutrum