Old June 23rd 11, 12:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

Default Testing Brake Fluid

On 06/22/2011 12:07 PM, ED wrote:
> I read that I can determine the moisture content of the brake fluid in my
> car
> by using a DMM (digital multimeter). Negative lead to the -battery term
> and the positive lead to the brake fluid in the reservoir. Anything
> below .3 volts is acceptable.
> Any comments on the validity of this method?

in theory it could work, but it depends on the electrode metal and the
type of metal the cylinder is made of. cast iron has a different
electrode potential to aluminum, which has a different potential to
stainless, which has a different potential to chrome plated brass, which
has a different potential to only partially chrome plated brass, etc.
so, unless you know the potentials for your probes and your system
respectively, or you use a specific known probe calibrated for the
system you're testing, you're completely in the dark.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum