Old March 17th 10, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Default NAPA vs. Autozone vs. O'Reilly... price and quality?

phaeton wrote:
> Using online catalogues, i've priced out the parts to rebuild the
> front end on my truck. (In-store pricing might be slightly different)
> This will mean 2 upper control arm assys, 2 lower ball joints, control
> arm bushings all around, and inner and outer tie rod ends for both
> sides.
>
> At NAPA, it's about $450 for parts, at Autozone about $370, and
> O'Reilly will be just under $300. These are all using store-branded
> parts, not the generic (in NAPA's case) or Moog brand (in O'Reilly's
> case). Is there any significant reason for this, or any major quality
> differences? We're talking about a bunch of machined metal and
> rubber, not microcontrollers. For all I know they could all be made
> by the same contractor.
>
> Tempting as it it is, I see entire kits of everything listed above on
> eBay for under $100. They're generic names, but no more generic
> sounding to me than the store brands.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks.

NAPA branded parts are usually the second line MOOG or TRW parts, They
are considered second line because they are not branded as the TRW or
MOOG names. These would be the same as OEM parts they make. They also
sell the prime line from the big makers plus "OEM" parts.

Autozone sells three lines of parts. Store branded are generally imports
and are made by smaller companies. They may be high quality or they may
be crap, depends on which company made it. They are not all made by the
same company though. Then next step up are branded parts that are sold
in multiple chains but are not the OEM parts. Things like Spectra
radiators and Four Seasons A/C compressors. Then you get into the

O'Reilly, Shucks, Murray Discount Auto Parts, Checker, Kragen are all
owned by the same outfit. As such there parts are about the same. They
are DIY stores and sell three tiers of parts like Autozone does.

The differences are hard to see unless you strip down the parts.
The metals are NOT just metals. There are a LOT of different alloys out
there. Plus the actual machine work and how much machine work is done.
In the case of a DIYer who does his own labor the price may be the only
thing they look for. For a shop though having the warranty and faith in
the better parts is a good thing.

Personally I HATE having to re-do any repairs. So I tend to buy either
prime line or OEM parts. The thing with prime line is that they can be
better than the OEM parts EASILY.
As an example take a look at the gaskets used on the 4.3 and 5.7
engines. The OEM ones tend to fail due to the plastic cracking because
of the method of clamping them in the engine. When this started
happening a lot Fel_pro came out with a problem solver gasket. It uses a
better substrate to keep them from failing in those spots.
GM had to use up a TON of gaskets they already had before they started
using a new version.

--
Steve W.