Old February 3rd 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Avalon1178

Default 2008 Honda Civic Ex Maintenance Schedule

> The "minder" is the result of the engine computer, which is keeping very
> close track of EXACTLY how you drive the car and what wear you put on it.
>
> The schedule is inside the computer, and the computer tells you when
> your driving habits warrant a given service.

Wow little Elmo, that REALLY "spells" it out in the manual!

> How is that so difficult to understand or accept? *It's much more
> precise than "well, it's been about 6 months since I've seen ol' Goober
> down at the fillin' station, so it must be time."

Who said I'm not accepting this or having difficulty to understand? I
essentially just asked if the new models have a "strict" recommended
schedule to adhere to, like in older models. If not, then fine.
Actually, its good that it doesn't. I just wanted to know if this
"minder" is sufficient enough to keep the maintenance on check.

> > In my old 2005 manual, it spells
> > it out such that at every 5000 mi, you change the oil, at 10000 mi you
> > change oil + other stuff, at 30000 mi interval you do major service
> > etc (located at the middle of the page).

> And years ago we used buy and play vinyl records. *Do you go to the
> Apple Store, pick up an iPod, and ask the guy, "Where's the stylus? *
> Where do I put the record on?"?

I guess you're THAT old to remember vinyl records? And you call
yourself "Elmo"?

> > What "manual" are you
> > talking about?

> The same manual you're reading. *Follow it.
>
> Why the resistance to following it?

Who said I'm not gonna follow it? Can't you read my original
question? A simple "yes" or "no" is all I'm looking for. Geez, did I
just offend your Honda religion or something?

> > > Read your owner's manual. *It spells things out quite clearly.

> > See my reply above. *Show me what page where "it spells things out
> > quite clearly".

Yeah, you spelled it out quite "clearly" alright ("oh oh, the schedule
is in the computer...")

> Pages 228-229.
>
> Why the resistance to following the schedule that Honda's engineers have
> spelled out? *The fact that they've spelled it out only in the computer,
> which is able to take into account every little aspect of how you drive
> the car and therefore know exactly how much wear their components and
> lubricants have received?

That's good! I like that they did that! And I never said I was
resisting. All I asked if it matters to adhere to a schedule
anymore. If the "minder" is all that requires, then great!

> The old "do it every X months or Y thousand miles" was there as a best
> guesstimate, because the technology wasn't built into the car to record
> every cold start, every RPM load, and so on. *But now that it is there,
> we don't go by simple time or miles--we go by much more precise
> measurements.
>
> And those measurements are understood by the engineers who built the
> car, and the results of the measurements are well understood by the
> engineers who built the car.
>
> Why the resistance to following it?

Seriously dude, someone should grab you by the tummy so you can start
giggling like those tickle-me dolls from years back. Or is that too
recent for you that all you remember in your hay days are vinyl
records?