Old February 2nd 08, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Default 2008 Honda Civic Ex Maintenance Schedule

Avalon1178 wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2:29�pm, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote:
>> In article
>> >,
>>
>> �Avalon1178 > wrote:
>>> Hi, I recently bought a new 2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX after my older
>>> model (2005) was totalled during a car accident. �I'm still getting
>>> used to the new car but so far so good. �One big big change with the
>>> new car is what appears to be the absence of a maintenance schedule.

>> No, there's a maintenance schedule. �Read your owner's manual.

> The only "schedule" I see in my manual is the one mentioned in pages
> 228-229 of the 2008 Hondai Civic Sedan, but this is exactly what I"m
> talking about, its not a "schedule" like you said but more of a
> "minder" which I posted originally. In my old 2005 manual, it spells
> it out such that at every 5000 mi, you change the oil, at 10000 mi you
> change oil + other stuff, at 30000 mi interval you do major service
> etc (located at the middle of the page). What "manual" are you
> talking about?
>
>>> Now with all the new
>>> features in the 2008 model like maintenance reminders etc, and the
>>> absence of a schedule maintenance in the owner's manual, is there no
>>> point to following your standard 5000 miles scheduled maintenance to,
>>> say, get your oil change etc or your typical 10,000-interval mile
>>> service to a shop (like tire rotation, brake fluid check, etc)?

>> Read your owner's manual. �It spells things out quite clearly.

> See my reply above. Show me what page where "it spells things out
> quite clearly". For example, I've always replaced my engine oil at
> every 5000 mi, but the 2008 civic you basically have to rely on the
> reminder whether your oil is 15% or 10% etc. It doesn't say in the
> manual the recommended time to replace the oil (i.e. every 6 months or
> every 5000 mi). What happens if the dealer forgets to reset the
> reminder or, worse, malfunctions?

how hard is this concept? do you fill the gas tank every 300 miles or
when the gauge shows you should? same principle applies with the the
maint sched reminder!

and if they "forget" reset it, not only will you not be paying them,
you'll see the percentage stay the same and you'll be calling the dealer
to have them sort it out. if it malfunctions, since it's integrated
with your engine management computer, the car will be dead and you'll be
calling the dealer for warranty repair.