Old May 9th 06, 08:32 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Default New engine in 97 GTV

Dirty Davey > wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I bought a fantastic used 2.0 GTV about 6 weeks ago with 65k on the
> clock. Then, the huge smile that I'd been carrying aorund for the past
> few weeks was promptly wiped from my face when a conn rod failed and
> ended up destroying the engine block
>
> I've found a recon engine, £1200 fully fitted.

I'd want to know the history of the engine before spending that much
money. You can buy whole, written off cars for that kind of money.

> My question is, is it worth it? Is this just another unreliable Alfa
> story that I keep hearing and am I going to have something else happen
> in a few thousand miles?

Probably not. I don't think many people in here have had any major
issues with their cars. I certainly haven't, and have been driving Fiats
and Alfas for years.

> And, if I do have a new engine put in will it add any notable value to
> the car?

No. If anything, it will decrease the value.

> I only paid £3k for the car in the first place, but I do truly love
> driving it however the continuous ramblings of my wife and friends
> telling me to buy something sensible like a Ford are beginning to take
> there toll.

*shudder*

Ford aren't without their own problems - the list starts with electrical
faults and runs through rust, sticky valves and self-destructing
gearboxes.

> So, can anyone give me some reassurance that replacing the engine is a
> sensible option

It's a sensible option, 'cos the car is worth under a grand as it is,
*if* you can find a buyer for it.

If you do replace the lump, check the oil this time, eh?

Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL