Old October 4th 12, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

Default Back from the dead

On 10/3/2012 6:33 PM, Max Welton wrote:

> The engine will be a 90.5x82 2110 with MegaSquirt FI, throttle bodies from an 1999 Honda Interceptor VFR800 and hydraulic lifters. I'll be applying everything I learned from my Megasquirt type-3 project to this engine.
>
> Max

That's kind of what I've been thinking for my next VW engine, but
bigger, and MS EFI... my thinking is that the EFI could support a bigger
cam too, with better idle mixture, so I'd go HUGE with the cam, super
squishies, heaps of CR. It would be purely a play toy, so I'd use up
most all of any safety margins and go all out No idea what to use
for throttle bodies. The ricer crowd here is buzzin about "ITB",
Individual Throttle Bodies, but that's what we have been doing with
carbs for decades. I would think that is still the way to go, just a
different way to meter fuel.

Been thinkin for over 6 years with nothing to show for it. Don't even
have a VW in the US. The current engine has maybe 1000-1500 miles on
it and still needs the last finishing touches to be perfect (Dyno tune).
Love the thing, everything seemed to match and work well together. 90.5
x 80, custom cam with 310 deg advertised duration and total of 13.5mm
lift at the valve, dual 45 dells... The heads are a bit of a limiting
factor, I had to cheap out there as I knew I was leaving the car, and
the country behind me for a good while.. They flowed 180hp at 12mm lift,
not sure why the guy didn't keep going to higher lift, the graph was
still climbing steep at 12mm. Guess he didn't think I'd go any bigger
and I didn't think to tell him.
The head porter said due to the "small" cylinder diameter, he somehow
shaped the ports to turn the incoming charge to use more of the open
sides of the intake valve, and less of the side where the cylinder wall
gets close. Dunno about that.

We've built high rpm big cam 1600-1800 engines with valve pockets cut to
the side of the CYLINDER before.... No data to show if it helped or
not. Seemed a bit insane at the time and probably was. Not much meat
left in the head but these weren't built to last anyway.

Max, if I ever get around to it, I'll pick your brain for sure

jan